Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stars & Stripes Forever!


Happy Independence Day! I hope everyone is having a safe and happy 4th of July weekend! As happens every year, we are surrounded this evening by the flashes and colors and sounds of pyrotechnics exploding all around us. Several of our neighbors put on quite the show, and every year it gets a little better!

Over in the Sisterhood, patriotism was running wild, as our hostess Catherine challenged us to design a card using the colors of our country. I know, it's July and I'm posting June's card. What can I say? Nothing, other than that I'm really happy with the way these turned out!


I found the layout idea when leafing through the 2006-07 SU catty for some inspiration. The Not Quite Navy bases were a perfect match for the DP by Helen Dardik for Creative Imaginations, and I just love the shimmery Ruby Jewel DP from The Paper Company on the flaps and center medallion layer.


The belly bands feature a medallion from scalloped and plain Nesties circles and "ribbons" I cut and layered from the DP. The sentiment was computer generated in NQN using a handy RGB/SU Colors Chart I found on SCS. I sponged the scalloped edges with Ruby Red, and added a silver star brad and silver flat-backs for some shine.


A Ruby Red-edged ivory circle hides inside the card behind the medallion for writing a sentiment. The finish it off, I Sakura silver dots to all the borders.


I really hope the gals who receive these like them! Several of the Sisters are from outside the States, so obviously they were encouraged to use their home country colors, and I'm hoping to get one of those in my returns. (hint, hint Catherine!)


Next time, I'll be posting some Rileys I colored up with my Copics for Father's Day cards, and will be looking for advice on that subject. *sigh*


Happy Creating!
Susan

8 comments:

Catherine said...

Truly one of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen IRL! I absolutely love it!!!!!!
Thanks so much, Susan, for creating such a wonderful card for the June swap! I'm totally CASE-ing this one!!!!! It's just tooooooooo good to resist!
Happy Independence Day, GF!
Love ya bunches! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Lorie said...

Susan!!! This card is completely stunning!! I love everthing about it! You put so much work into all the details, and WOW did that ever pay off! You rocked this theme, and I sure hope one of these lands in my mailbox. Happy 4th of July!!

Mary Giles said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! OMG! Did I say WOW? Susan this is just absolutely stunning. All that cutting and the details that went into this is just amazing!

Judy McMullen said...

OMG! This is totally awesome card for the "My Country Tis of Thee" swap. I just have to mimic Lorie and say "YOU ROCKED IT"!! and I too wouldn't mind finding this one in my mailbox! Love it!!!

specialcraftmom4 said...

Oh this is so nicely done! Great job (:

Deb Neerman said...

This is beautiful!!! I just love it!

lindalee said...

What a gorgeous card Susan!!! Wowser!

Catherine said...

Susan - There's a little love for ya on my blog. {{{HUGS}}}