Friday, February 27, 2009

Mardi Gras Cards!




I know, I know ... Mardi Gras was three days ago (gee, my birthday was on Fat Tuesday--how appropriate LOL) But I didn't have these quite tweaked yet, so here they are now.

For the February STC swap, Mary challenged us to make Mardi Gras cards. I had this vision in my brain of how I wanted the finished cards to look. This isn't quite it, but I think they're okay.

The masks are made from sticky-back purple velvet stock. I printed the mask template, stuck them to the back, cut them out, then ran them through the "Bug in the Textile Texture embossing folder. I went over the raised parts with a gold Stardust pen, but the velvet sucked up the ink, so they're not quite as sparkly as I would like.


The little bells on organza strips were actually cut from ponytail holders that I found at Pat Catans craft store! I cut strips of gold and cream organza ribbon and attached all of that to the back of the mask with several dimensional glue dots. (I really hope they stick!!!)
To make the bases for the masks, I cut and wove thin strips of green shiny origami paper, and layered gold and black cardstock cut from the Nesties Labels 2 (I think) dies. Not as time consuming as you would think, really! I wanted it to be puffy, like a pillow, but couldn't figure out how to accomplish that.
The gold background was run through the 'Bug with the D'Vine Swirl embossing folder. I added a layer of black ribbon, then a strip of purple shiny origami paper for a little more color.

My daughter thinks I totally lost my mind making these cards, and I must admit, I put way more time into these than I usually do. But I like the end result, and it does my mind some good to be challenged a little more than usual every now and then. But not *too* often . . .

Happy Creating!
Susan

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow! I really like it Susan, especially the gold background and the mask! Tres chic! And the beads make me giggle! What'd ya have to do to get those??? LOL!

kadie said...

Oh, that is SO pretty! I love the bells. I think a bunch of us used that cuttlebug folder...it jsut screamed Mardi Gras to me. Great card, Susan!!

Lorie said...

These cards are wonderful Susan! I love your creative use of the ponytail holder. That's something I would have never thought of, and I love the cuttlebug texture you added to the mask. Great job!!!!!

Silli said...

oh, your card is so pretty. Love the play with spellbinders... great!

Diane said...

Beautiful card! I have entered you in my blog candy...thanks for visiting!

Carmen O. said...

Gorgeous!